Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Tangent #3



I found a fun article on BookSlut, and thought it was interesting enough to post here. It’s about the reading habits of college kids today called “On Campus, Vampires Are Besting the Beats” by Ron Charles. I am willing to admit that I read all four of the Twilight books in less than 5 days this Christmas break, and I don’t think this makes me a “bad” or non-politically motivated student. I’m not sure it’s a good idea to use someone’s reading habits as an index of their intelligence. Anyways, I hope you check out the article since it’s written about our own demographic.



I am also posting a link to this article about Battlestar Galatica and feminism, but please do not read it if you haven’t seen all the episodes so far. The article is called “Chauvinist Pigs in Space: Why Battlestar Galactica is not so frakking feminist after all” by Juliet Lapidos. There are major spoilers as to identity (Cylon/ human) and plot lines in the article. When I was trying to find this link because I had forgotten to save it, I just went to Google and typed in “Battlestar Galatica and feminism” and was shocked by how many links appeared (the Slate article didn’t show up). I both agree and disagree with the article – I think she makes a compelling argument, backed up with evidence from the show. However, even after reading the article, I refuse to give up my “girl crush” on Starbuck (and apparently I'm not the only one because there are "Pieces of Flair" on Facebook with Kara Thrace/Starbuck and the word "girl crush"). There’s just something so compelling about her character; I guess you have to have seen the show to know what I’m talking about. If you haven’t seen the show, you should definitely Netflix it (or run to Blockbuster). There is tons of fodder for literary analysis, trust me.


1 comment:

  1. Oooh! Never really got into Battlestar Galactica, (it interfered with the sci-fi channel broadcast of Doctor Who once and I never forgave it--Flash Gordon, either, for that matter) but always loved genre articles like that. I'll check it out if I have time.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete